Film Feedback Template with Filmmaker Commentary
This short video was created with the intention of showing the behavior of a student during a boring class online. With the help of a family member and a very talented dog actor, the film came together.
A typically motivated student quickly loses focus during yet another Zoom class.
Intent / Goals
- FOR YOU: I wanted to be able to incorporate at least one of Murch’s techniques in this video; I used eye trace as well as story advancing cuts.
- FOR THE PROJECT: I wanted the audience to feel the gradual loss of motivation of the student on screen.
- I looked further into Walter Murch’s six editing rules.
- Walter Murch is a world-renowned film editor who has been working in the industry for decades.
- Was my goal of using the eye trace rule achieved?
- Is it clear that this is a montage?
Dexter: “I enjoyed how the number of distracting items increased cuz i feel like it’s similar to real life. I also thought the static camera was a good choice for how the film was presented.”
Francis: “I really liked it! The cuts were well done and I could easily relate!”
Josie: “Definitely relatable and I thought all of the cuts made sense”
Laari: “I liked the editing, there were no cuts that felt awkward so it flowed very nicely. I’m also a big fan of the dog”
Naomi: “I like the editing and thought it was very relatable”
Brian: “clear message in video. I think the eye trace worked. Though the dog stole the show”